Who are we?
Hammersmith Medicines Research (HMR) is a specialist clinical pharmacology unit, with 145 beds in a purpose-designed building, close to an NHS hospital. Since 1993, we’ve provided industry-leading services to pharmaceutical companies for Phase I and Phase II clinical trials.
In 2001 we set up our own laboratory, and over the last 7 years we’ve built up our range of services so that we now offer a wide variety of specialist analytical techniques. In January 2009 we moved to new premises with state-of-the-art facilities including:
- Automated sample handling, sorting, and storage
- Fast sample delivery to the laboratory from the wards via pneumatic tube transmission
- Storage at 4°C, –20°C, –70°C, and liquid nitrogen; continuous temperature monitoring
- Sophisticated laboratory information management system
- Data export in sponsor’s format
- Swipecard-control access to all areas
- Licence and facilities for handling radioactivity
Our vastly increased capacity supports multicentre trials and trials done in other research units. The central laboratory is gaining a reputation in its own right.
Competitive pricing, fast communication, excellent quality standards, and on-time delivery of results, are key features of our service. We also offer investigator support specifically tailored for the pharmaceutical industry.
We have a well-established team of experienced Biomedical Scientists with Health Professional Council (HPC) registration, and who participate in the Institute of Biomedical Scientists (IBMS) continuing professional development (CPD) programme.
Other equipment includes:
- BD FACSCalibur flow cytometer
- Helena AggRAM platelet aggregometer
- Dade Behring PFA-100 platelet function analyser
- Speedvac SPD 121P concentrator and freeze dryer
- BioMAT2 class II safety cabinet
- Triturus automated ELISA analyser
- Siemens Immulite 2000 immunoassay analyser
- Beckman Coulter DxI 800 immunoassay analyser
- Beckman Coulter DxC 600 random access analyser (+ 1 backup)
- ADVIA 120 haematology analyser
- Qiagen Symphony aytomated DNA and RNA extraction
- Qiagen Rotor-Gene Q real time PCR machine
- Instrumentation Laboratory TOP300 coagulation analyser
- Waters Acquity H-Class UPLC analyser
- Seward 3500 stomacher
- PerkinElmer Oxidiser 307
- PerkinElmer Envision plate reader
- PerkinElmer Tri-Carb 3100TR low activity liquid scintillation analyser
Large menu of clinical laboratory tests:
- Safety pathology – extensive range of tests
- Biomarkers for kidney, heart, liver, gut, peripheral tissue, lung, inflammation and immunology
- Method setup and validation as required
- Same methodology for the life of a clinical trial
- Whenever possible, same reagent lot number used for the life of the trial
- Own established reference ranges, based on a large population of healthy volunteers